Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Last weekend, I made homemade pumpkin butter! It was a delicious creation and definitely way better than any store bought version I've tried. This is super easy and way worth the time spent. First step is to go BUY the pie pumpkins! When I arrived to the store, I was sad to see only two pumpkins left, but this didn't ruin my plan. Nope.

You start off by cutting the pumpkins in half. After doing that, you will fill a baking sheet up with a little water and place the pumpkins face down in the water. Plop these beauties in the oven for 60-90 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Just walk away. Do some laundry. Take a nap...
When they are done, they will look a lot like this. They will even start sinking, it's a beautiful process I tell ya.

Let these COOL. I mean it, COOL. You will have your hands all over these, so make sure they are completely cool! : ) Thank you.

What you will do after the waiting period is scrape all of the meat out of the pumpkin. All that should be left is the skin. Do not put the skin in there, I mean I guess you could but it could add a strange texture.
Now, you put it in a food processor, blender, or hand blend it yourself. It should end up creamy and smooth.


Homemade pumpkin butter:

1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree, approx. 3 1/2 cups or fresh


3/4 cup apple juice

Ground cloves

Brown Sugar

Ground Cinnamon
Ground nutmeg

Juice of half a lemon

Combine all of the ingredients except for the lemon juice in a saucepan and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until desired consistancy. Add the lemon at the end. I didn't put measurements because it is your pumpkin butter so you put the amount of spice you like. I personally like a lot. I like it to be full of flavor and spice. I hope you enjoy!
I do promise that ou will end up with a spoonful of heaven.



Add it to a biscuit, toast, oatmeal, coffee. Do as you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment