Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A thankful wednesday

Dear X, oh, it's been a long time
Remember when you were holding me tight
I would stay awake with you all night
Dear X, I was safe in your arms
You were there when it all fell apart
I would get so lost in your beautiful lies
I let you go
But you're still chasing
Go ahead
You're never gonna take me
You can bend
But you're never gonna break me
I was yours
I'm not yours anymore

Oh, you don't own me

My favorite station to listen to on the morning commute is 88.7 WAYFM. I often hear this song and I used to always turn it because it's more of a rock song, which doesn't always strike my match. But one morning, I listened to the lyrics. I was listening and I felt so connected with this song. It's called "Dear X" by Disciple. To me, it's me singing to my pain, hurt, and anger. It's about the dark time in my life I am often reminded of but thankful for. I know I've mentioned it before, but it amazes me the places God takes you.

This morning I was reminded of this song again because the band Disciple was speaking on the radio. Listening to them explain why they wrote it and what it means to them touched my heart. It touched me because I feel like everyone can relate to this song. Everyone has pain, hurt, anger. Everyone has something that controls them or something that did control them. To me, it was myself. I controlled me instead of letting God. I was held captive by my own mind.
Everyday, from the end of my Junior year to my Senior year, was a battle. Everyday when I woke up I was planning for my goodnight. I hated the morning because I was scared of what the day would turn in to. But today, I look forward to my morning and I am eager to see what will cross my path during the day. I smile, laugh, and feel free. My days are no longer numbered but are now appreciated. I feel people's love when I couldn't before.

"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." John 8:36

I've been set free, and I'm so thankful today.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on confinement and feeling captive. It's amazing to hear what keeps people from succeeding or just living.

Happy Thanksgiving!















2 comments: