Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Wedding Treats

Since about April, I've been a busy little bee getting things prepared for the wedding. Making decisions such as colors, flowers, decorations, and treats have been occupying my mind. Decision making is definitely not one of my strengths, so if you are like me, you would understand how much time it takes to make one.

Amongst the millions of decisions I'm required to make, the one thing I did finally decide was to make my own dessert bar at the wedding. I have never been more excited for something than I am for the wedding and the dessert bar. Many have tried to persuade me to find someone to take care of food for the wedding because I will SURELY not be able to handle the massive amount of baking that will come along with this. For a while, the dessert bar was just in the back of my mind as I tried to find someone who could cater my wedding in the way I wanted it to be done.

But being the determined person I am..I finally just decided to take matters into my own hands and follow my heart. This dessert bar, I decided, will be my pride and joy. Baking for some is a time heavy, tiring load. But for me it is relaxing, enjoyable, and makes me smile (the most important factor of all). Baking to me is fascinating and always has been. It's a sweet process seeing something start out as dry flour, goopy eggs, and hard butter and watch it turn into a fluffy concoction. What in the world could be more satisfying than starting out with a bunch of random stuff and turning it into a beautiful, tasty creation. Everything before it's mixed together is useless, gross tasting, and lacking in structure. The art of mixing it all together and seeing it turn into something people drool over is a complete creative pleasure.

Once I decided to create a dessert bar, my goal was to find a like-minded friend to help execute my vision. I immediately thought of a friend who I knew loved to bake, and had similar creative taste. Logan at Sweet Like Icing was the perfect person! So I asked her and she kindly without hesitation agreed to help me! We've been meeting periodically to construct and plan out our sweet bar and it's been so much fun. Today we worked on the ever-so-loved-and-precious cake balls!


Sorry for the terrible picture quality but my camera is dead so my phone was all I had. Shown above are french vanilla cake balls covered in white chocolate and toasted coconut. We also made some chocolate cake balls covered in dark chocolate and dark chocolate mint. We had a couple flops but for the most part they turned out quite sweet:)

The cake ball recipe is simple and one that most people know. The one I used is

1 Box of French Vanilla Cake Mix
1 tub of Cream Cheese Icing
White Chocolate Bakers Bars
Coconut (toasted or not)

Bake the cake according to directions, refrigerate overnight.
Crumble the cake in a big bowl and mix in the cream cheese icing.
Refrigerate overnight.
Form into balls and place on a parchment covered baking sheet, place in freezer.

Melt chocolate squares according to direction.
DIP AWAY!

So easy and so delicious. A great cake ball tutorial is here

Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment