Pages

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Self-Obsession

Psalm 16:2 reminds us, “I said to the Lord, ‘You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.’” Christians attain self-worth and esteem by having a right relationship with God. We can know we are valuable because of the high price God paid for us through the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ.


(Ephesians 1:14). Because of this, only He is worthy of honor and praise. When we have healthy self-esteem, we will value ourselves enough to not become involved in sin that enslaves us. Instead, we should conduct ourselves with humility, thinking of others as better than ourselves (Philippians 2:3). Romans 12:3 warns, “Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.”

There are so many problems in today's society that lead to pride/selfishness/self-obsession/and disobedience, but they all take different forms. [[For example: In eating disorders, people only see eating disorder as super skinny, but someone who is quite large may have the SAME issue just handling it in a seperate way. ]] It's a selfish disorder. It revolves completely around "self." So many days i've spent in my selfish self, and I never realized it. I've even learned that me trying to make others happy and losing myself through it was selfish. Selfishness is breeded through so much more than just hogging something.
I've dealt with a sort of self-obsession. Not the kind in which I stare in the mirror and admire myself, but the opposite. The type where I find everything that is wrong with me. I never thought of it as self obsession but it was. I would let me negative feelings about myself direct my day. I became absorbed in it. I've found that the only way I can get myself out of it is by prayer.

My prayer today is that I may become obedient and concious in my thoughts and words. To become less aware of me and more aware of God.



No comments:

Post a Comment