Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Larabar Review

How many out there have tried larabars? How many like them? I've heard various opinions on the bars, some hate them, some love them. All larabars have a date base, allowing them to have the soft and chewy texture. Dates, when processed, can pretty much be molded into whatever you want. I cannot wait to get a food processor so I can make my own larabars! I love that the ingredient list is short. They usually only contain fruits and nuts.

The first larabar I had ever tried was the peanut butter cookie, which contains dates, peanut butter, and peanuts. This was acutally not the best choice for my first larabar ever. Some may love them, but I typically like the more fruit flavored, the peanut flavor dried my mouth up.

Anywho, yesterday I tried the coconut cream pie larabar! I was a little hesitant because I wasn't sure how the coconut would blend with dates. My favorite bar so far has been the applie pie! Oi, completely delicious and it tastes like you are eating an apple turnover.



The coconut cream pie contains dates, coconut, coconut oil, cashews, and almonds. I bit into it and at first it didn't taste like much of anything, but THEN, a burst of coconut flavor exploded in my mouth! It was fantastic. If you like coconut, I would STRONGLY recommend this larabar! It is definitely one of my favorites, but I have to try some more! I hesitate moving from my apple pie:) If you don't like coconut, I would suggest not trying this. Go figure:)


Once I get the long awaited for food processor, I will make these!

What is your favorite larabar? Have you attempted to make them?

Now, to completely change topics. I've gotten into a lot of discussion lately about the purpose of the Old Testament. Many are turning away from the entire book thinking it's pointless and the God in that book is completely different than the God in the New Testament. As you may or may not know, I've been reading "Champagne for the Soul," which is about a man's 90-day journey to being completely joyful in a broken world. It's brought a lot of light into my days, bringing knowledge that joy doesn't come from wordly things or circumstances, but by attitude and knowing God's love for us. The author isn't joyful by nature, and he struggles with everyday tasks and duties. The book is thought provoking and creates a lot of challenges to my personal everyday life.
Back to what I was saying. I read an interesting part in Chapter 7 where he addresses the Old Testament difference.
"What was the purpose of the sacrificial system in the Old Testament? Did the slaughtering of animals bring satisfaction to God? No, for as David prayed, "You do not take pleasure in burnt offerings" (Psalm 51:16). What then did God expect from all those messy sacrifices?
He wanted His people to be happy. He wanted them to away from rituals feeling joyful and free, knowing that their sins had been dealt with and would not return to haunt them..."
I think we can all relate to that statement. God asks us to do things sometimes that may not seem pretty or easy, but His purpose is so great that we cannot comprehend. People didn't understand why they had to kill animals. People today don't understand why they have to give things up. Why am I convicted with something so simple as listening to a non-christian radio station? I've decided that I won't fight it, I'll just accept it. God calls us to different things, therefore creating different sacrifices. Sometimes the Old Testament seems pointless and just "too different" for our problems of today. But, if you dig deep enough in to the moral of the stories, you will find that it truly does relate to our today, just in a different way.


5 comments:

  1. I still have tried the famed Larabar! They look sooo delicious though! Anything with big explosions of coconut has my vote :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I'm one of those Larabar haters. It really makes no sense considering I love nuts and dates. I think I ate too many of them and now I just can't stand the taste.

    My food processor is seriously my most prized possession!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN to what you said about Gods purpose!! FAR GREATER THAN WE CAN IMAGINE! thats so encouraging, right? thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to try the coconut larabar. Thanks for the review! I tried the apple pie one. It was pretty good. I think I can do better, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome! I personally LOVE the apple pie, but the coconut is definitely a top choice:) Reminds me of summertime!

    ReplyDelete